So….the weekend’s readathon didn’t go so well. To put it bluntly, I barely got anything read. A summary of the weekend’s reading:
- Positive: I read Saturday. More in one sitting than I have all year, about 4 hours or so.
- Negative: I didn’t read for more than 30 minutes on Sunday.
- Positive: I’m enjoying Reading Lolita in Tehran.
- Negative: Reading Lolita in Tehran is a very slow book for me. I keep stopping to think about what she’s just said, or I re-read a sentence or paragraph. Or, more likely, my mind wanders off on some tangent which may or may not be related.
- Negative: I realized that I can’t read Reading Lolita in Tehran straight through, like I’ve been doing with my books lately. It’s simply not reading quickly enough.
- Positive: I get to pick another book to read!
- Positive: I spent time browsing my bookshelves for other books to read, something I haven’t spent much time on in a while.
- Negative: I still have to put all those books away. Oops.
- Negative: I still haven’t settled 100% on what book is next.
- Positive: I’m going to be spending a lot more time browsing my books, reading first pages, finding the next book. Or six.
Despite my inability to get more than (mumble) pages read this weekend, I don’t really wish to call it a complete failure. After all, I did spend time reading, I did find a book I like, and I’m rededicated to a more consistent reading schedule. Even if that means only a few pages a day. I also realized that I may not be able to stick with my goal for the TBR Dare of April 1. Although I still have almost all of the same books on my shelf waiting to be read as I did at the first of the year, they’re not calling to me as strongly as I would like. My limitation may actually be hindering my desire to read them! I’m not ready to call it quits, yet though. My current reading still meets the qualifications, and I may be more excited about my books once I’m back in the “practice” of reading.
Now, I just need to pick out another book….