It’s been nearly a year since I first create my list for The Classics Club, but I’ve only finished two books off the list. (Plus parts of others.) Time to change that, I think and the Club has offered an excellent incentive in the form of “The Classics Spin.” That is:
Go to your blog.
Pick twenty books that you’ve got left to read from your Classics Club List.
Try to challenge yourself: list five you are dreading/hesitant to read, five you can’t WAIT to read, five you are neutral about, and five free choice (favorite author, rereads, ancients — whatever you choose.)
Post that list, numbered 1-20, on your blog by next Monday.
Monday morning, we’ll announce a number from 1-20. Go to the list of twenty books you posted, and select the book that corresponds to the number we announce.
The challenge is to read that book by April 1, even if it’s an icky one you dread reading! (No fair not listing any scary ones!)
I found the simplest way to create the list was to first remove the really chunky books (which I couldn’t possibly get through in one month) and then select 20 using a random number generator–sure enough, fast list & a good mix of books I’ve been avoiding and books I can’t wait to read. In random order:
- Carpentier, Alego: Kingdom of This World [El reino de este mundo] (1949)
- Baldwin, James: Go Tell It on the Mountain (1953)
- Bunyan, John: The Pilgrim’s Progress (1678)
- Morrison, Toni: The Bluest Eye (1970)
- Smith, Dodie: I Capture the Castle (1940)
- Conrad, Joseph: Heart of Darkness (1902)
- Aeschylus (Aiskhulos): Plays
- Agamemnon (458 BCE)
- The Libation Bearers (458 BCE)
- The Eumenides (458 BCE)
- Solzhenitsyn, Aleksandr Isayev: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich (1952)
- Joyce, James: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (1916)
- Spark, Muriel: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1961)
- Gaskell, Elizabeth: Mary Barton (1848)
- Rulfo, Juan: Pedro Páramo (1955)
- Dick, Philip K.: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (1968)
- Walpole, Horace: The Castle of Otranto (1765)
- Trollope, Anthony: The Warden (1855)
- Camões, Luís Vaz de: The Lusiad (1572)
- Verne, Jules: Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (1870)
- Shakespeare, William: The Two Gentlemen of Verona (1589-91)
- Tolkien, J. R. R.: The Lord of the Rings (1954-56)
- Tomasi di Lampedusa, Giuseppe: The Leopard [Il Gattopardo] (1958)
Can’t wait until Monday to find out what I’ll be reading!