UPDATE: The spin number is 8, so Pedro Páramo it is. One of the few books on this list I don’t already have on hand, but I’ve already ordered a copy from the library. It’s coming from elsewhere in the state, so hopefully it arrives in time…
I wasn’t going to do it, really I wasn’t, what with all the books I’m still in the middle of, plus the upcoming busyness of my April Event, but I kept seeing others’ posts and in a moment of weakness I decided to join in the latest Classics Club Spin anyways.
The last spin I participated in I failed, if by failed you mean didn’t get it read by the deadline. I succeeded marvelously if the goal was to actually get the book read and posted about–even if it did take several months past the deadline. Really, reading deadlines are just general guidelines anyways, right?
I did limit my choices primarily to either books I already am planning on reading soon, books I own, or books that hit multiple categories in this year’s challenge goals (actually, all the books will meet at least one of those, not counting Classics Club). After randomly sorting the list I arrived at:
- Cranford – Elizabeth Gaskell
- Fables – Aesop
- Antigone – Sophocles (Sophoklēs)
- The Woman in White – Wilkie Collins
- The Day of the Owl [Il giorno della civetta] – Leonardo Sciascia
- The House of Mirth – Edith Wharton
- The Bluest Eye – Toni Morrison
- Pedro Páramo – Juan Rulfo
- The Warden – Anthony Trollope
- 2666 – Roberto Bolaño
- The Taming of the Shrew – William Shakespeare
- Agamemnon – Aeschylus (Aiskhulos)
- The Iliad – Homer
- His Last Bow – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- Three Exemplary Novels – Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
- Mary Barton – Elizabeth Gaskell
- Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
- Ficciones – Jorge Luis Borges
- The Aeneid [Aeneis] – Virgil
- Titus Andronicus – William Shakespeare
I’m most hoping to get one of the Shakespeare, as those are both “sooner rather than later” books (I have Titus Andronicus out from the library already). And my fingers are crossed that I don’t get the Cervantes, since my copy is in Spanish or any of the longer titles (such as 2666) – I really don’t see how they would be finished by May 2! I’ll update here with which book I’m reading once the number is announced.
Anyone else spinning? Or this there a book on my list you really hope I get?